Plan, direct, or coordinate advertising policies and programs or produce collateral materials, such as posters, contests, coupons, or give-aways, to create extra interest in the purchase of a product or service for a department, an entire organization, or on an account basis.
- Account Executive
- Account Manager
- Account Specialist
- Advertising Account Executive
- Advertising Account Manager
- Advertising Agency Manager
- Advertising Campaign Manager
- Advertising Coordinator
- Advertising Director
- Advertising Executive
- Inspect layouts and advertising copy and edit scripts, audio and video tapes, and other promotional material for adherence to specifications.
- Plan and prepare advertising and promotional material to increase sales of products or services, working with customers, company officials, sales departments and advertising agencies.
- Gather and organize information to plan advertising campaigns.
- Confer with clients to provide marketing or technical advice.
- Direct, motivate, and monitor the mobilization of a campaign team to advance campaign goals.
- Confer with department heads or staff to discuss topics such as contracts, selection of advertising media, or product to be advertised.
- Prepare budgets and submit estimates for program costs as part of campaign plan development.
- Prepare and negotiate advertising and sales contracts.
- Plan and execute advertising policies and strategies for organizations.
- Assist with annual budget development.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EAC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Artistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $118,510.00 with most people making between $53,500.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 70 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetPublic Relations Specialists
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
majorPublic Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communication
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles