Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as electronic data processing, information systems, systems analysis, and computer programming.
- Application Development Director
- Business Analyst
- Business Intelligence Systems Manager
- Chief Information Officer
- Chief Technical Officer
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
- Computer Operations Manager
- Computer Programming Manager
- Computer Project Manager
- Computer Security Manager
- Review project plans to plan and coordinate project activity.
- Manage backup, security and user help systems.
- Develop and interpret organizational goals, policies, and procedures.
- Develop computer information resources, providing for data security and control, strategic computing, and disaster recovery.
- Consult with users, management, vendors, and technicians to assess computing needs and system requirements.
- Stay abreast of advances in technology.
- Meet with department heads, managers, supervisors, vendors, and others, to solicit cooperation and resolve problems.
- Provide users with technical support for computer problems.
- Recruit, hire, train and supervise staff, or participate in staffing decisions.
- Evaluate data processing proposals to assess project feasibility and requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $148,980.00 with most people making between $86,620.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 43,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 51,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 810 openings due to growth and about 660 replacement openings for approximately 1,470 total annual openings.
- Architectural and Engineering Managers
- Natural Sciences Managers
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Fraud Examiners, Investigators and Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Web Administrators
- Industrial Engineers
- Sales Engineers
majorComputer and Information Sciences, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorInformation Resources Management
onetArchitectural and Engineering Managers