Plan, direct, or coordinate the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products, and services. Includes wholesale or retail trade merchandising managers and procurement managers.
- Circuit Rider
- Circuit Walker
- Commissary Superintendent
- Commodity Manager
- Contract Administrator
- Contract Coordinator
- Contract Manager
- Contracting Manager
- Contracting Officer
- Represent companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Direct and coordinate activities of personnel engaged in buying, selling, and distributing materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies.
- Interview and hire staff, and oversee staff training.
- Locate vendors of materials, equipment or supplies, and interview them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Prepare and process requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Develop and implement purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain records of goods ordered and received.
- Participate in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials.
- Analyze market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Resolve vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $116,330.00 with most people making between $63,250.00 and $179,180.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 350 total annual openings.
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Regulatory Affairs Specialists
- Cost Estimators
- Customs Brokers
- Budget Analysts
collegeNaval Postgraduate School
collegeLa Sierra University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorHuman Resources Management/Personnel Administration, General
collegeAmerican River College
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
onetAdministrative Services Managers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorPurchasing, Procurement/Acquisitions and Contracts Management