Plan, direct, or coordinate the training and development activities and staff of an organization.
- Apprenticeship Consultant
- Apprenticeship Training Representative
- Development Manager
- Director of Education
- Director of Educational Services
- Director of Employee Development
- Director of Staff Development
- E-Learning Manager
- Education and Development Manager
- Education and Training Manager
- Prepare training budget for department or organization.
- Evaluate instructor performance and the effectiveness of training programs, providing recommendations for improvement.
- Analyze training needs to develop new training programs or modify and improve existing programs.
- Conduct or arrange for ongoing technical training and personal development classes for staff members.
- Plan, develop, and provide training and staff development programs, using knowledge of the effectiveness of methods such as classroom training, demonstrations, on-the-job training, meetings, conferences, and workshops.
- Conduct orientation sessions and arrange on-the-job training for new hires.
- Confer with management and conduct surveys to identify training needs based on projected production processes, changes, and other factors.
- Train instructors and supervisors in techniques and skills for training and dealing with employees.
- Develop and organize training manuals, multimedia visual aids, and other educational materials.
- Develop testing and evaluation procedures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $119,210.00 with most people making between $66,490.00 and $183,210.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,700 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Childcare Center/Program
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Agents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Instructional Coordinators
- Public Relations Specialists
onetSocial and Community Service Managers
collegeAmerican River College
onetAgents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorHuman Resources Management/Personnel Administration, General
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
onetHuman Resources Managers
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General