Plan, direct, or coordinate the academic and nonacademic activities of preschool and childcare centers or programs.
- Art Coordinator
- Assessment Coordinator
- Child Care Center Administrator
- Child Care Center Director
- Child Care Director
- Childcare Administrator
- Childcare Center Administrator
- Childcare Center Director
- Childcare Director
- Monitor students' progress, and provide students and teachers with assistance in resolving any problems.
- Confer with parents and staff to discuss educational activities and policies, and students' behavioral or learning problems.
- Set educational standards and goals, and help establish policies, procedures, and programs to carry them out.
- Plan, direct, and monitor instructional methods and content of educational, vocational, or student activity programs.
- Direct and coordinate activities of teachers or administrators at daycare centers, schools, public agencies, or institutions.
- Prepare and maintain attendance, activity, planning, accounting, or personnel reports and records for officials and agencies, or direct preparation and maintenance activities.
- Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate primary and supplemental staff, and recommend personnel actions for programs and services.
- Teach classes or courses, or provide direct care to children.
- Determine allocations of funds for staff, supplies, materials, and equipment, and authorize purchases.
- Determine the scope of educational program offerings, and prepare drafts of program schedules and descriptions, to estimate staffing and facility requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SEC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $55,070.00 with most people making between $31,700.00 and $86,830.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 100 openings due to growth and about 250 replacement openings for approximately 350 total annual openings.
- Human Resources Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Education Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
- Social and Community Service Managers
- Equal Opportunity Representatives and Officers
- Educational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Instructional Coordinators
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
majorEducational Leadership and Administration, General
onetEducation Administrators, Elementary and Secondary School
collegeFresno Pacific University
collegeCalifornia State University-Fullerton
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
majorKindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
majorEarly Childhood Education and Teaching
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers