Plan, direct, or coordinate activities in such fields as architecture and engineering or research and development in these fields.
- Architect Manager
- Chief Engineer
- Chief Petroleum Engineer
- Civil Engineering Manager
- Director of Engineering
- Electrical Engineering Director
- Electronics Engineering Manager
- Engineering Design Manager
- Engineering Manager
- Engineering Research Manager
- Manage the coordination and overall integration of technical activities in architecture or engineering projects.
- Direct, review, or approve project design changes.
- Confer with management, production, or marketing staff to discuss project specifications or procedures.
- Present and explain proposals, reports, or findings to clients.
- Consult or negotiate with clients to prepare project specifications.
- Prepare budgets, bids, or contracts.
- Assess project feasibility by analyzing technology, resource needs, and market demand.
- Direct recruitment, placement, and evaluation of architecture or engineering project staff.
- Review, recommend, or approve contracts or cost estimates.
- Develop or implement policies, standards, or procedures for engineering and technical work.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $155,680.00 with most people making between $94,040.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 30,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 34,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 420 openings due to growth and about 590 replacement openings for approximately 1,010 total annual openings.
majorCivil Engineering, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorArchitectural and Building Sciences/Technology
onetArchitects, Except Landscape and Naval
majorAerospace, Aeronautical and Astronautical/Space Engineering
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles