Plan, direct, or coordinate operational, administrative, management, and supportive services of a U.S. post office; or coordinate activities of workers engaged in postal and related work in assigned post office.
- Branch Manager
- Computerized Forwarding System Supervisor
- Customer Service Manager
- Customer Service Supervisor
- Distribution Operation Supervisor (SDO)
- Distribution Operations Manager
- Mail Delivery Supervisor
- Mail Superintendent
- Postal Service Sectional Center Manager
- Postal Superintendent
- Negotiate labor disputes.
- Collect rents for post office boxes.
- Organize and supervise activities such as the processing of incoming and outgoing mail.
- Direct and coordinate operational, management, and supportive services of one or a number of postal facilities.
- Resolve customer complaints.
- Hire and train employees, and evaluate their performance.
- Prepare employee work schedules.
- Prepare and submit detailed and summary reports of post office activities to designated supervisors.
- Issue and cash money orders.
- Inform the public of available services, and of postal laws and regulations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $71,030.00 with most people making between $45,520.00 and $96,460.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 800 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Purchasing Managers
- Food Service Managers
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Gaming Supervisors
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Insurance Sales Agents
- First-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
collegeAmerican College of Traditional Chinese Medicine
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeThe Juilliard School
collegeAmerican Conservatory Theater
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorComputer Installation and Repair Technology/Technician