Represent and promote artists, performers, and athletes in dealings with current or prospective employers. May handle contract negotiation and other business matters for clients.
- Advance Agent
- Artist Agent
- Artist Manager
- Artist Representative
- Artist's Manager
- Artist's Representative
- Athlete Manager
- Athlete Marketing Agent
- Athletic Agent
- Collect fees, commissions, or other payments, according to contract terms.
- Confer with clients to develop strategies for their careers, and to explain actions taken on their behalf.
- Develop contacts with individuals and organizations, and apply effective strategies and techniques to ensure their clients' success.
- Schedule promotional or performance engagements for clients.
- Negotiate with managers, promoters, union officials, and other persons regarding clients' contractual rights and obligations.
- Keep informed of industry trends and deals.
- Manage business and financial affairs for clients, such as arranging travel and lodging, selling tickets, and directing marketing and advertising activities.
- Conduct auditions or interviews in order to evaluate potential clients.
- Arrange meetings concerning issues involving their clients.
- Prepare periodic accounting statements for clients.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $119,170.00 with most people making between $41,750.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 7,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 110 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 250 total annual openings.
majorPurchasing, Procurement/Acquisitions and Contracts Management
majorArts, Entertainment,and Media Management, General
onetPublic Relations Specialists
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeNaval Postgraduate School