Plan and design structures, such as private residences, office buildings, theaters, factories, and other structural property.
- Architectural Designer
- Architectural Project Manager
- Architectural Superintendent
- Building Architect
- Building Architectural Designer
- Building Consultant
- City Designer
- Commercial Green Building Architect
- Commercial Green Building Designer
- Consult with clients to determine functional or spatial requirements of structures.
- Prepare scale drawings.
- Plan layout of project.
- Prepare information regarding design, structure specifications, materials, color, equipment, estimated costs, or construction time.
- Integrate engineering elements into unified architectural designs.
- Prepare contract documents for building contractors.
- Direct activities of workers engaged in preparing drawings and specification documents.
- Conduct periodic on-site observation of work during construction to monitor compliance with plans.
- Seek new work opportunities through marketing, writing proposals, or giving presentations.
- Administer construction contracts.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $92,000.00 with most people making between $53,790.00 and $135,170.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 12,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 15,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 240 openings due to growth and about 260 replacement openings for approximately 500 total annual openings.
onetMultimedia Artists and Animators
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
onetFilm and Video Editors
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
majorAnimation, Interactive Technology, Video Graphics and Special Effects
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles