Prepare detailed working diagrams of machinery and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
- Aeronautical Drafter
- Auto Design Detailer
- Autocad Designer
- Autocad Technician
- Automotive Design Drafter
- Automotive Design Layout Drafter
- Body Design Checker
- Body Designer
- CAD Designer (Computer Aided Design Designer)
- CAD Designer (Computer-Aided Design Designer)
- Develop detailed design drawings and specifications for mechanical equipment, dies, tools, and controls, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment.
- Lay out and draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines.
- Coordinate with and consult other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems.
- Check dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Modify and revise designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems.
- Compute mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery using computer-assisted equipment.
- Position instructions and comments onto drawings.
- Lay out, draw, and reproduce illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems.
- Design scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items such as furniture and automobile body or chassis components.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Mathematics - Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $57,660.00 with most people making between $34,810.00 and $87,890.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 50 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia Institute of Technology
majorDrafting and Design Technology/Technician, General
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
majorMechanical Drafting and Mechanical Drafting CAD/CADD
collegeAthens Technical College
majorCAD/CADD Drafting and/or Design Technology/Technician