Conduct religious worship and perform other spiritual functions associated with beliefs and practices of religious faith or denomination. Provide spiritual and moral guidance and assistance to members.
- Catholic Priest
- Children's Minister
- Children's Pastor
- Christian Counselor
- Pray and promote spirituality.
- Read from sacred texts such as the Bible, Torah, or Koran.
- Prepare and deliver sermons or other talks.
- Organize and lead regular religious services.
- Share information about religious issues by writing articles, giving speeches, or teaching.
- Instruct people who seek conversion to a particular faith.
- Counsel individuals or groups concerning their spiritual, emotional, or personal needs.
- Visit people in homes, hospitals, or prisons to provide them with comfort and support.
- Train leaders of church, community, or youth groups.
- Administer religious rites or ordinances.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SAE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Philosophy and Theology - Knowledge of different philosophical systems and religions. This includes their basic principles, values, ethics, ways of thinking, customs, practices, and their impact on human culture.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $56,790.00 with most people making between $25,770.00 and $91,490.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 11,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 13,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 130 openings due to growth and about 200 replacement openings for approximately 330 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Training and Development Managers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers
- Kindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Instructional Coordinators
- Public Relations Specialists
onetRadio and Television Announcers
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeAmerican River College
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles