Teach courses in geography. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Assistant Professor
- Assistant Professor of Geography
- Associate Professor
- Associate Professor of Geography
- Cartography Professor
- Cartography Teacher
- College or University Faculty Member
- College Professor
- Geographic Information Systems Professor
- Geography Department Chair
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as urbanization, environmental systems, and cultural geography.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations, or assign this work to others.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $79,730.00 with most people making between $34,890.00 and $143,830.00
California projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Computer Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Agricultural Sciences Teachers, Postsecondary
- Area, Ethnic, and Cultural Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
- Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Psychology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Sociology Teachers, Postsecondary
- Library Science Teachers, Postsecondary
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeIowa State University
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
majorGeographic Information Science and Cartography
majorCriminalistics and Criminal Science
majorGeography Teacher Education
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeHumboldt State University