Demonstrate and teach patient care in classroom and clinical units to nursing students. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Provide professional consulting services to government or industry.
- Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Act as advisers to student organizations.
- Perform administrative duties such as serving as department head.
- Participate in campus and community events.
- Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading assignments.
- Participate in student recruitment, registration, and placement activities.
- Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
- Coordinate training programs with area universities, clinics, hospitals, health agencies, or vocational schools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2014, the average annual wage in California was $97,750 with most people making between $54,780 and $144,640
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 3,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,300 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 140 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 200 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorMaternal/Child Health and Neonatal Nurse/Nursing
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeThe University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
majorRegistered Nursing/Registered Nurse
majorNursing/Registered Nurse (RN, ASN, BSN, MSN)