Teach courses in social work. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
- Bachelor of Social Work Program Coordinator (BSW Program Coordinator)
- Clinical Professor
- College or University Faculty Member
- College Professor
- Faculty Member
- Family Welfare Social Work Professor
- Field Education Coordinator
- Field Education Director
- Field Instructor
- Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as family behavior, child and adolescent mental health, and social intervention evaluation.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Conduct research in a particular field of knowledge and publish findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Supervise students' laboratory and field work.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Supervise undergraduate or graduate teaching, internship, and research work.
- Maintain regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sociology and Anthropology - Knowledge of group behavior and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history and origins.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $79,460.00 with most people making between $42,240.00 and $127,180.00
California projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- School Psychologists
- Clinical Psychologists
- Business Teachers, Postsecondary
- Geography Teachers, Postsecondary
- Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
- English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- Foreign Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
- History Teachers, Postsecondary
- Philosophy and Religion Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetEducational, Guidance, School, and Vocational Counselors
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeLoma Linda University
onetCriminal Justice and Law Enforcement Teachers, Postsecondary
majorClinical/Medical Social Work
majorSocial Work, Other
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers