Instruct preschool-aged children in activities designed to promote social, physical, and intellectual growth needed for primary school in preschool, day care center, or other child development facility. May be required to hold State certification.
- 2 Year Olds Preschool Teacher
- Assistant Teacher
- Associate Teacher
- Bilingual Instructor
- Bilingual Teacher
- Child Care Provider
- Child Care Teacher
- Child Caregiver
- Child Development Associate Teacher (CDA Teacher)
- Child Development Teacher
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior, and procedures for maintaining order.
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development, such as games, arts and crafts, music, storytelling, and field trips.
- Teach basic skills such as color, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene, and social skills.
- Observe and evaluate children's performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Read books to entire classes or to small groups.
- Attend to children's basic needs by feeding them, dressing them, and changing their diapers.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Assimilate arriving children to the school environment by greeting them, helping them remove outerwear, and selecting activities of interest to them.
- Serve meals and snacks in accordance with nutritional guidelines.
- Teach proper eating habits and personal hygiene.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $33,640.00 with most people making between $21,330.00 and $48,840.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 54,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 60,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 640 openings due to growth and about 1,420 replacement openings for approximately 2,060 total annual openings.
- Rehabilitation Counselors
- Child, Family, and School Social Workers
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Career/Technical Education Teachers, Middle School
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors
- Recreational Therapists
- Patient Representatives
majorEarly Childhood Education and Teaching
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
collegeSan Diego State University
majorKindergarten/Preschool Education and Teaching
collegeCalifornia State University-Fresno
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
majorChild Care and Support Services Management
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education