Teach students in one or more subjects in public or private schools at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable laws and regulations.
- 6th Grade Teacher
- 7th Grade Social Studies Teacher
- 7th Grade Teacher
- 8th Grade Mathematics Teacher
- 8th Grade Teacher
- Algebra Teacher
- American History Teacher
- Art Educator
- Art Instructor
- Art Teacher
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Confer with parents or guardians, other teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Instruct through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate these objectives to students.
- Assist students who need extra help, such as by tutoring and preparing and implementing remedial programs.
- Assign lessons and correct homework.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $68,680.00 with most people making between $45,410.00 and $93,270.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 54,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 60,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 630 openings due to growth and about 1,200 replacement openings for approximately 1,830 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Training and Development Specialists
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Health Educators
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Home Economics Teachers, Postsecondary
- Special Education Teachers, Middle School
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Instructional Coordinators
- Speech-Language Pathologists
majorMathematics Teacher Education
onetChild, Family, and School Social Workers
onetArt, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
collegeUniversity of California-San Diego
onetElementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
onetKindergarten Teachers, Except Special Education
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorJunior High/Intermediate/Middle School Education and Teaching
majorEnglish/Language Arts Teacher Education
collegeSanta Clara University
majorArt Teacher Education