Teach preschool school subjects to educationally and physically handicapped students. Includes teachers who specialize and work with audibly and visually handicapped students and those who teach basic academic and life processes skills to the mentally impaired.
- Adapted Physical Education Teacher
- Assistant Teacher
- Autistic Teacher
- Behavior Specialist
- Blind Teacher
- Braille Teacher
- Cross-Categorical Special Education Teacher
- Deaf Teacher
- Developmental Therapist
- Developmentally Delayed Special Education Teacher (DD Special Education Teacher)
- Confer with parents, guardians, teachers, counselors, or administrators to resolve students' behavioral or academic problems.
- Arrange indoor or outdoor space to facilitate creative play, motor-skill activities, or safety.
- Attend to children's basic needs by feeding them, dressing them, or changing their diapers.
- Communicate nonverbally with children to provide them with comfort, encouragement, or positive reinforcement.
- Develop individual educational plans (IEPs) designed to promote students' educational, physical, or social development.
- Develop or implement strategies to meet the needs of students with a variety of disabilities.
- Employ special educational strategies or techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, or memory.
- Encourage students to explore learning opportunities or persevere with challenging tasks to prepare them for later grades.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects to students, parents, or guardians.
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Independence in their jobs.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $57,990.00 with most people making between $33,420.00 and $87,360.00
California projection information is not available
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation