Formulate design concepts and presentation approaches for visual communications media, such as print, broadcasting, and advertising. Direct workers engaged in art work or layout design.
- Advertising Production Manager
- Art Coordinator
- Art Department Head
- Art Director
- Art Supervisor
- Artistic Director
- Arts Administrator
- Arts Manager
- Creative Director
- Creative Services Manager
- Formulate basic layout design or presentation approach and specify material details, such as style and size of type, photographs, graphics, animation, video, and sound.
- Manage own accounts and projects, working within budget and scheduling requirements.
- Confer with creative, art, copywriting, or production department heads to discuss client requirements and presentation concepts and to coordinate creative activities.
- Present final layouts to clients for approval.
- Review and approve art materials, copy materials, and proofs of printed copy developed by staff members.
- Work with creative directors to develop design solutions.
- Create custom illustrations or other graphic elements.
- Confer with clients to determine objectives, budget, background information, and presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Review illustrative material to determine if it conforms to standards and specifications.
- Negotiate with printers and estimators to determine what services will be performed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $111,670.00 with most people making between $49,450.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 14,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 16,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 170 openings due to growth and about 340 replacement openings for approximately 510 total annual openings.
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
collegeArt Center College of Design
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach