Design, cut, and arrange live, dried, or artificial flowers and foliage.
- Artificial Foliage Arranger
- Corsage Maker
- Design Maker
- Floral Arranger
- Floral Artist
- Floral Decorator
- Floral Designer
- Floral Designer Salesperson
- Florist Designer
- Confer with clients regarding price and type of arrangement desired and the date, time, and place of delivery.
- Plan arrangement according to client's requirements, utilizing knowledge of design and properties of materials, or select appropriate standard design pattern.
- Water plants, and cut, condition, and clean flowers and foliage for storage.
- Select flora and foliage for arrangements, working with numerous combinations to synthesize and develop new creations.
- Order and purchase flowers and supplies from wholesalers and growers.
- Wrap and price completed arrangements.
- Trim material and arrange bouquets, wreaths, terrariums, and other items using trimmers, shapers, wire, pins, floral tape, foam, and other materials.
- Perform office and retail service duties such as keeping financial records, serving customers, answering telephones, selling giftware items and receiving payment.
- Inform customers about the care, maintenance, and handling of various flowers and foliage, indoor plants, and other items.
- Decorate or supervise the decoration of buildings, halls, churches, or other facilities for parties, weddings and other occasions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $29,200.00 with most people making between $18,840.00 and $42,290.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 4,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 3,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 130 total annual openings.
collegeLong Beach City College
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeOtis College of Art and Design
majorFloriculture/Floristry Operations and Management