Plan, design, and furnish interiors of residential, commercial, or industrial buildings. Formulate design which is practical, aesthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity, selling merchandise, or improving life style. May specialize in a particular field, style, or phase of interior design.
- Certified Kitchen Designer
- Color and Materials Designer
- Color Expert
- Commercial Interior Designer
- Decorating Consultant
- Director of Interiors
- Environmental Designer
- Furniture Arranger
- Confer with client to determine factors affecting planning interior environments, such as budget, architectural preferences, and purpose and function.
- Advise client on interior design factors such as space planning, layout and utilization of furnishings or equipment, and color coordination.
- Coordinate with other professionals, such as contractors, architects, engineers, and plumbers, to ensure job success.
- Review and detail shop drawings for construction plans.
- Estimate material requirements and costs, and present design to client for approval.
- Subcontract fabrication, installation, and arrangement of carpeting, fixtures, accessories, draperies, paint and wall coverings, art work, furniture, and related items.
- Formulate environmental plan to be practical, esthetic, and conducive to intended purposes, such as raising productivity or selling merchandise.
- Select or design, and purchase furnishings, art works, and accessories.
- Render design ideas in form of paste-ups or drawings.
- Use computer-aided drafting (CAD) and related software to produce construction documents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $60,100.00 with most people making between $28,850.00 and $92,780.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 10,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 200 openings due to growth and about 260 replacement openings for approximately 460 total annual openings.
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeCalifornia College of the Arts
collegeSan Jose State University