Coordinate activities of technical departments, such as taping, editing, engineering, and maintenance, to produce radio or television programs.
- Audio Operator
- Audio Technician
- Broadcast Engineer
- Creative Services Director
- Engineering Production Operations Director
- Master Control Operator (MCO)
- Master Control Supervisor
- News Director
- Supervise and assign duties to workers engaged in technical control and production of radio and television programs.
- Monitor broadcasts to ensure that programs conform to station or network policies and regulations.
- Observe pictures through monitors, and direct camera and video staff concerning shading and composition.
- Act as liaisons between engineering and production departments.
- Test equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Schedule use of studio and editing facilities for producers and engineering and maintenance staff.
- Train workers in use of equipment such as switchers, cameras, monitors, microphones, and lights.
- Confer with operations directors to formulate and maintain fair and attainable technical policies for programs.
- Discuss filter options, lens choices, and the visual effects of objects being filmed with photography directors and video operators.
- Follow instructions from production managers and directors during productions, such as commands for camera cuts, effects, graphics, and takes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $128,000 with most people making between $44,530 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 33,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 40,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 660 openings due to growth and about 990 replacement openings for approximately 1,650 total annual openings.
- Advertising and Promotions Managers
- Computer and Information Systems Managers
- Industrial Production Managers
- Transportation Managers
- Supply Chain Managers
- Directors- Stage, Motion Pictures, Television, and Radio
- Program Directors
- Sales Engineers
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material-Moving Machine and Vehicle Operators
onetChefs and Head Cooks
majorDirecting and Theatrical Production
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorRadio and Television
majorCinematography and Film/Video Production
onetFilm and Video Editors