Compete in athletic events.
- All Terrain Vehicle Racer (ATV Racer)
- Auto Racer
- Automobile Racer
- Ball Player
- Barrel Racer
- Baseball Pitcher
- Baseball Player
- Basketball Player
- Bass Fisher
- Attend scheduled practice or training sessions.
- Participate in athletic events or competitive sports, according to established rules and regulations.
- Exercise or practice under the direction of athletic trainers or professional coaches to develop skills, improve physical condition, or prepare for competitions.
- Maintain equipment used in a particular sport.
- Maintain optimum physical fitness levels by training regularly, following nutrition plans, or consulting with health professionals.
- Assess performance following athletic competition, identifying strengths and weaknesses and making adjustments to improve future performance.
- Receive instructions from coaches and other sports staff prior to events, and discuss their performance afterwards.
- Represent teams or professional sports clubs, performing such activities as meeting with members of the media, making speeches, or participating in charity events.
- Lead teams by serving as captain.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Recognition and Relationships in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $125,020 with most people making between $18,660 and n/a
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,400 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Radiologic Technicians
- Municipal Firefighters
- Forest Firefighters
- Correctional Officers and Jailers
- Police Patrol Officers
- Sheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
- Chefs and Head Cooks
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
- Ship Engineers
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
collegeSan Diego State University
onetCoaches and Scouts
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorHealth and Physical Education/Fitness, General
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
majorSport and Fitness Administration/Management
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science