Perform dances. May perform on stage, for on-air broadcasting, or for video recording.
- Acrobatic Dancer
- Ballet Company Artistic Director
- Ballet Company Member
- Ballet Dancer
- Ballet Soloist
- Ballet Teacher
- Belly Dancer
- Burlesque Dancer
- Company Dancer
- Train, exercise, and attend dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Study and practice dance moves required in roles.
- Harmonize body movements to rhythm of musical accompaniment.
- Perform classical, modern, or acrobatic dances in productions, expressing stories, rhythm, and sound with their bodies.
- Collaborate with choreographers in order to refine or modify dance steps.
- Coordinate dancing with that of partners or dance ensembles.
- Attend costume fittings, photography sessions, and makeup calls associated with dance performances.
- Audition for dance roles or for membership in dance companies.
- Develop self-understanding of physical capabilities and limitations, and choose dance styles accordingly.
- Monitor the field of dance to remain aware of current trends and innovations.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Therapy and Counseling - Knowledge of principles, methods, and procedures for diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of physical and mental dysfunctions, and for career counseling and guidance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was n/a with most people making between n/a and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,200 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 90 replacement openings for approximately 100 total annual openings.
- Fine Artists, Including Painters, Sculptors, and Illustrators
- Floral Designers
- Merchandise Displayers and Window Trimmers
- Set and Exhibit Designers
- Camera Operators, Television, Video, and Motion Picture
- Occupational Therapy Aides
- Cooks, Private Household
- Makeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Riverside