Analyze, interpret, and broadcast news received from various sources.
- Art Critic
- Assignment Editor
- Broadcast Journalist
- Broadcast Meteorologist
- Disc Jockey (DJ)
- Media Analyst
- Analyze and interpret news and information received from various sources in order to be able to broadcast the information.
- Write commentaries, columns, or scripts, using computers.
- Examine news items of local, national, and international significance in order to determine topics to address, or obtain assignments from editorial staff members.
- Coordinate and serve as an anchor on news broadcast programs.
- Edit news material to ensure that it fits within available time or space.
- Select material most pertinent to presentation, and organize this material into appropriate formats.
- Gather information and develop perspectives about news subjects through research, interviews, observation, and experience.
- Present news stories, and introduce in-depth videotaped segments or live transmissions from on-the-scene reporters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ASE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Social and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Telecommunications - Knowledge of transmission, broadcasting, switching, control, and operation of telecommunications systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $94,290.00 with most people making between $31,050.00 and n/a
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
- Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
- Training and Development Managers
- Training and Development Specialists
- Arbitrators, Mediators, and Conciliators
- Education Teachers, Postsecondary
- Art, Drama, and Music Teachers, Postsecondary
- Communications Teachers, Postsecondary
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education
- Special Education Teachers, Secondary School
- Instructional Coordinators
onetRadio and Television Announcers
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
majorRadio and Television
onetFilm and Video Editors
collegeSan Diego State University