Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
- Assembly Instructions Writer
- Contract Writer
- Document Specialist
- Documentation Designer
- Documentation Specialist
- Documentation Writer
- Electronic Publications Specialist
- Electronic Publisher
- Engineering Documentation Specialist
- Organize material and complete writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Edit, standardize, or make changes to material prepared by other writers or establishment personnel.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
- Interview production and engineering personnel and read journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods.
- Develop or maintain online help documentation.
- Assist in laying out material for publication.
- Study drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedure, and production sequence and detail.
- Arrange for typing, duplication, and distribution of material.
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to determine operating procedure and detail.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AIC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $81,880 with most people making between $50,330 and $116,950
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 6,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 7,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 120 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 250 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
onetReporters and Correspondents
onetFilm and Video Editors
onetPoets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley