Create original written works, such as scripts, essays, prose, poetry or song lyrics, for publication or performance.
- Book Reviewer
- Business Writer
- Children's Author
- Comic Book Writer
- Comic Writer
- Continuity Writer
- Creative Writer
- Revise written material to meet personal standards and to satisfy needs of clients, publishers, directors, or producers.
- Choose subject matter and suitable form to express personal feelings and experiences or ideas, or to narrate stories or events.
- Plan project arrangements or outlines, and organize material accordingly.
- Prepare works in appropriate format for publication, and send them to publishers or producers.
- Follow appropriate procedures to get copyrights for completed work.
- Write fiction or nonfiction prose such as short stories, novels, biographies, articles, descriptive or critical analyses, and essays.
- Develop factors such as themes, plots, characterizations, psychological analyses, historical environments, action, and dialogue, to create material.
- Confer with clients, editors, publishers, or producers to discuss changes or revisions to written material.
- Conduct research to obtain factual information and authentic detail, using sources such as newspaper accounts, diaries, and interviews.
- Write narrative, dramatic, lyric, or other types of poetry for publication.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $97,700 with most people making between $35,200 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 20,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 22,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 140 openings due to growth and about 550 replacement openings for approximately 690 total annual openings.
collegeSan Diego State University
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetFilm and Video Editors