Diagnose, treat, and help prevent diseases or other conditions of the skin.
- Clinical Dermatologist
- Dermatological Surgeon
- Medical Dermatologist
- Pediatric Dermatologist
- Diagnose and treat pigmented lesions such as common acquired nevi, congenital nevi, dysplastic nevi, Spitz nevi, blue nevi, and melanoma.
- Conduct complete skin examinations.
- Counsel patients on topics such as the need for annual dermatologic screenings, sun protection, skin cancer awareness, or skin and lymph node self-examinations.
- Record patients' health histories.
- Diagnose and treat skin conditions such as acne, dandruff, athlete's foot, moles, psoriasis, and skin cancer.
- Perform incisional biopsies to diagnose melanoma.
- Perform skin surgery to improve appearance, make early diagnoses, or control diseases such as skin cancer.
- Prescribe hormonal agents or topical treatments such as contraceptives, spironolactone, antiandrogens, oral corticosteroids, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, and antibiotics.
- Recommend diagnostic tests based on patients' histories and physical examination findings.
- Provide dermatologic consultation to other health professionals.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ISR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Achievement, but also value Working Conditions and Recognition in their jobs.
- Medicine and Dentistry - Knowledge of the information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, diseases, and deformities. This includes symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions, and preventive health-care measures.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Science - Using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
Most of these occupations require graduate school. For example, they may require a master's degree, and some require a Ph.D., M.D., or J.D. (law degree).
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $182,580.00 with most people making between $58,220.00 and n/a
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 29,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 34,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 470 openings due to growth and about 590 replacement openings for approximately 1,060 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
majorDermatology Residency Program
majorPediatric Dermatology Residency Program
collegeSouthern California University of Health Sciences
majorPlastic Surgery Residency Program
collegeDominican University of California
collegeLife Chiropractic College West
majorPediatrics Residency Program