Record drugs delivered to the pharmacy, store incoming merchandise, and inform the supervisor of stock needs. May operate cash register and accept prescriptions for filling.
- Certified Pharmacist Assistant
- Certified Pharmacy Technician
- Dispensary Attendant
- Drug Clerk
- Front Counter Clerk
- Pharmacist Aide
- Pharmacist Assistant
- Pharmacist Helper
- Pharmacist's Aide
- Operate cash register to process cash or credit sales.
- Prepare prescription labels by typing or operating a computer and printer.
- Accept prescriptions for filling, gathering and processing necessary information.
- Answer telephone inquiries, referring callers to pharmacist when necessary.
- Greet customers and help them locate merchandise.
- Receive, store, and inventory pharmaceutical supplies or medications, check for out-dated medications, and notify pharmacist when inventory levels are low.
- Unpack, sort, count, and label incoming merchandise, including items requiring special handling or refrigeration.
- Prepare, maintain, and record records of inventories, receipts, purchases, or deliveries, using a variety of computer screen formats.
- Maintain and clean equipment, work areas, or shelves.
- Perform clerical tasks, such as filing, compiling and maintaining prescription records, or composing letters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Clerical - Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $26,920.00 with most people making between $18,260.00 and $39,050.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 8,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 10,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 260 openings due to growth and about 120 replacement openings for approximately 380 total annual openings.
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Veterinary Assistants and Laboratory Animal Caretakers
- Gaming Dealers
- Gaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Postal Service Clerks
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping
- Office Clerks, General
majorMedical Office Assistant/Specialist
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Davis