Patrol assigned area to prevent fish and game law violations. Investigate reports of damage to crops or property by wildlife. Compile biological data.
- Conservation Enforcement Officer
- Conservation Officer
- District Wildlife Manager
- Fish and Wildlife Warden
- Fish Warden
- Fishing Game Warden
- Forestry and Wildlife Manager
- Game and Fish Protector
- Game Protector
- Game Warden
- Patrol assigned areas by car, boat, airplane, horse, or on foot to enforce game, fish, or boating laws or to manage wildlife programs, lakes, or land.
- Investigate hunting accidents and reports of fish and game law violations, and issue warnings or citations and file reports as necessary.
- Serve warrants, make arrests, and compile and present evidence for court actions.
- Protect and preserve native wildlife, plants, or ecosystems.
- Promote or provide hunter or trapper safety training.
- Seize equipment used in fish and game law violations, and arrange for disposition of fish or game illegally taken or possessed.
- Provide assistance to other local law enforcement agencies as required.
- Address schools, civic groups, sporting clubs, or the media to disseminate information concerning wildlife conservation and regulations.
- Recommend revisions in hunting and trapping regulations or in animal management programs so that wildlife balances or habitats can be maintained.
- Inspect commercial operations relating to fish or wildlife, recreation, or protected areas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Biology - Knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $69,870.00 with most people making between $50,180.00 and $82,350.00
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Robotics Technicians
- Forest and Conservation Technicians
- Fire Inspectors
- Fire Investigators
- Police Identification and Records Officers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Aviation Inspectors
collegeTexas Tech University
collegeHumboldt State University
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeCalifornia Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo
onetPolice Patrol Officers
onetHunters and Trappers
majorNatural Resources Law Enforcement and Protective Services
majorWildlife, Fish and Wildlands Science and Management