Handle animals for the purpose of investigations of mistreatment, or control of abandoned, dangerous, or unattended animals.
- Animal Attendant
- Animal Control Officer
- Animal Control Specialist
- Animal Cop
- Animal Cruelty Investigation Supervisor
- Animal Cruelty Investigator
- Animal Park Code Enforcement Officer
- Animal Rescuer
- Animal Treatment Investigator
- Animal Warden
- Investigate reports of animal attacks or animal cruelty, interviewing witnesses, collecting evidence, and writing reports.
- Capture and remove stray, uncontrolled, or abused animals from undesirable conditions, using nets, nooses, or tranquilizer darts as necessary.
- Examine animals for injuries or malnutrition, and arrange for any necessary medical treatment.
- Remove captured animals from animal-control service vehicles and place animals in shelter cages or other enclosures.
- Euthanize rabid, unclaimed, or severely injured animals.
- Supply animals with food, water, and personal care.
- Clean facilities and equipment such as dog pens and animal control trucks.
- Prepare for prosecutions related to animal treatment, and give evidence in court.
- Educate the public about animal welfare, and animal control laws and regulations.
- Contact animal owners to inform them that their pets are at animal holding facilities.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RSC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Social and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $44,460.00 with most people making between $28,690.00 and $60,160.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 2,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 2,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
collegeLong Beach City College
onetPolice Patrol Officers
collegeSan Joaquin Delta College
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeUniversity of Southern California