Guide or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as streets, schools, railroad crossings, or construction sites.
- Adult Crossing Guard
- Construction Site Crossing Guard
- Crossing Flagman
- Crossing Gateman
- Crossing Guard
- Crossing Tender
- Crossing Watchman
- Draw Tender
- Monitor traffic flow to locate safe gaps through which pedestrians can cross streets.
- Direct or escort pedestrians across streets, stopping traffic as necessary.
- Guide or control vehicular or pedestrian traffic at such places as street and railroad crossings and construction sites.
- Communicate traffic and crossing rules and other information to students and adults.
- Report unsafe behavior of children to school officials.
- Record license numbers of vehicles disregarding traffic signals, and report infractions to appropriate authorities.
- Direct traffic movement or warn of hazards, using signs, flags, lanterns, and hand signals.
- Learn the location and purpose of street traffic signs within assigned patrol areas.
- Stop speeding vehicles to warn drivers of traffic laws.
- Distribute traffic control signs and markers at designated points.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $25,110.00 with most people making between $19,060.00 and $34,850.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 5,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 5,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 40 openings due to growth and about 120 replacement openings for approximately 160 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Ushers, Lobby Attendants, and Ticket Takers
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Funeral Attendants
- Couriers and Messengers
- Postal Service Mail Carriers
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles
onetCriminal Investigators and Special Agents
collegeUniversity of Delaware
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetSheriffs and Deputy Sheriffs
collegeUniversity of Southern California
onetPolice Patrol Officers
collegeUniversity of San Francisco