Direct and may participate in the preparation, seasoning, and cooking of salads, soups, fish, meats, vegetables, desserts, or other foods. May plan and price menu items, order supplies, and keep records and accounts.
- Banquet Chef
- Bread and Pastry Baker
- Cake Froster
- Cake Icer
- Cake Maker
- Cake Mixer
- Chef de Cuisine
- Chef de Froid
- Chef de Patite
- Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
- Check the quantity and quality of received products.
- Order or requisition food or other supplies needed to ensure efficient operation.
- Supervise or coordinate activities of cooks or workers engaged in food preparation.
- Inspect supplies, equipment, or work areas to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Instruct cooks or other workers in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Estimate amounts and costs of required supplies, such as food and ingredients.
- Collaborate with other personnel to plan and develop recipes or menus, taking into account such factors as seasonal availability of ingredients or the likely number of customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ERA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Realistic and Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Recognition and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $49,990.00 with most people making between $25,190.00 and $82,550.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 11,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 13,900 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 250 openings due to growth and about 210 replacement openings for approximately 460 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Food Service Managers
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Technical Directors/Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
collegeCity College of San Francisco
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
majorRestaurant, Culinary, and Catering Management/Manager
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeLong Beach City College
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeCalifornia Culinary Academy