Directly supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in preparing and serving food.
- Assistant Manager
- Banquet Captain
- Banquet Steward/Stewardess
- Banquet Supervisor
- Bar Manager
- Bartender Manager
- Cafeteria Manager
- Cafeteria Supervisor
- Canteen Manager
- Train workers in food preparation, and in service, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Compile and balance cash receipts at the end of the day or shift.
- Perform various financial activities such as cash handling, deposit preparation, and payroll.
- Supervise and participate in kitchen and dining area cleaning activities.
- Estimate ingredients and supplies required to prepare a recipe.
- Resolve customer complaints regarding food service.
- Control inventories of food, equipment, smallware, and liquor, and report shortages to designated personnel.
- Purchase or requisition supplies and equipment needed to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Observe and evaluate workers and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service, and complete disciplinary write-ups.
- Specify food portions and courses, production and time sequences, and workstation and equipment arrangements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $31,370.00 with most people making between $20,510.00 and $47,850.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 90,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 114,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,340 openings due to growth and about 1,920 replacement openings for approximately 4,260 total annual openings.
- Food Service Managers
- Lodging Managers
- Opticians, Dispensing
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers
- Parts Salespersons
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Helpers, Laborers, and Material Movers, Hand
onetFood Service Managers
onetChefs and Head Cooks
collegeLong Beach City College
collegeCalifornia Culinary Academy
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
majorRestaurant, Culinary, and Catering Management/Manager
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
collegeBellingham Technical College
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
collegeSan Joaquin Delta College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers