Prepare and cook food in a fast food restaurant with a limited menu. Duties of these cooks are limited to preparation of a few basic items and normally involve operating large-volume single-purpose cooking equipment.
- Crew Member
- Crew Person
- Crew Trainer
- Fast Food Cook
- Fast Food Fry Cook
- Fry Cook
- Fryline Attendant
- Grill Cook
- Maintain sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils.
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Cook and package batches of food, such as hamburgers and fried chicken, which are prepared to order or kept warm until sold.
- Prepare specialty foods such as pizzas, fish and chips, sandwiches, and tacos, following specific methods that usually require short preparation time.
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Read food order slips or receive verbal instructions as to food required by patron, and prepare and cook food according to instructions.
- Measure ingredients required for specific food items being prepared.
- Take food and drink orders and receive payment from customers.
- Clean, stock, and restock workstations and display cases.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $19,290.00 with most people making between $17,260.00 and $23,480.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 103,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 134,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 3,080 openings due to growth and about 2,210 replacement openings for approximately 5,290 total annual openings.
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Order Fillers, Wholesale and Retail Sales
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeLong Beach City College
collegeLebanon County Area Vocational Technical School
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
onetCombined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
onetChefs and Head Cooks
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef