Prepare and cook to order a variety of foods that require only a short preparation time. May take orders from customers and serve patrons at counters or tables.
- Barbecue Cook
- Bed and Breakfast Cook (B&B Cook)
- Chuck Wagon Cook
- Deli Cook (Delicatessen Cook)
- Griddle Attendant
- Griddle Cook
- Grill Attendant
- Grill, cook, and fry foods such as french fries, eggs, and pancakes.
- Clean food preparation equipment, work areas, and counters or tables.
- Take orders from customers and cook foods requiring short preparation times, according to customer requirements.
- Grill and garnish hamburgers or other meats such as steaks and chops.
- Restock kitchen supplies, rotate food, and stamp the time and date on food in coolers.
- Perform food preparation tasks, such as making sandwiches, carving meats, making soups or salads, baking breads or desserts, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Plan work on orders so that items served together are finished at the same time.
- Complete orders from steam tables, placing food on plates and serving customers at tables or counters.
- Perform general cleaning activities in kitchen and dining areas.
- Accept payments, and make change or write charge slips as necessary.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Relationships and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $24,160 with most people making between $18,070 and $31,120
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 16,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 20,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 410 openings due to growth and about 350 replacement openings for approximately 760 total annual openings.
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Cooks, Restaurant
- Food Preparation Workers
- Stock Clerks- Stockroom, Warehouse, or Storage Yard
- Office Machine Operators, Except Computer
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Etchers and Engravers
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
collegeLong Beach City College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
collegeCollege of the Desert
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
onetCooks, Fast Food
onetChefs and Head Cooks