Perform a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
- Assistant Cook
- Baker Helper
- Bakery Helper
- Cafeteria Aide
- Cafeteria Worker
- Caterer Helper
- Catering Assistant
- Clean and sanitize work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Prepare a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
- Take and record temperature of food and food storage areas such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Wash, peel, and cut various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Place food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or store them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Portion and wrap the food, or place it directly on plates for service to patrons.
- Weigh or measure ingredients.
- Mix ingredients for green salads, molded fruit salads, vegetable salads, and pasta salads.
- Receive and store food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $21,170 with most people making between $17,410 and $28,290
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 101,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 124,000 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,210 openings due to growth and about 3,670 replacement openings for approximately 5,880 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
onetCooks, Fast Food
onetChefs and Head Cooks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
collegeSan Joaquin Delta College
collegeCalifornia Culinary Academy
majorFood Preparation/Professional Cooking/Kitchen Assistant
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
collegeUniversity of California-Davis
onetCombined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food