Serve food to individuals outside of a restaurant environment, such as in hotel rooms, hospital rooms, residential care facilities, or cars.
- Boat Hop
- Car Attendant
- Car Hop
- Cotton Candy Maker
- Curb Attendant
- Curb Hop
- Diet Attendant
- Dietary Aide
- Monitor food distribution, ensuring that meals are delivered to the correct recipients and that guidelines, such as those for special diets, are followed.
- Clean or sterilize dishes, kitchen utensils, equipment, or facilities.
- Examine trays to ensure that they contain required items.
- Place food servings on plates or trays according to orders or instructions.
- Load trays with accessories such as eating utensils, napkins, or condiments.
- Take food orders and relay orders to kitchens or serving counters so they can be filled.
- Stock service stations with items such as ice, napkins, or straws.
- Remove trays and stack dishes for return to kitchen after meals are finished.
- Prepare food items, such as sandwiches, salads, soups, or beverages.
- Monitor food preparation or serving techniques to ensure that proper procedures are followed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: SRE.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Social interests, but also prefer Realistic and Enterprising environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $25,390.00 with most people making between $17,670.00 and $38,870.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 18,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 470 openings due to growth and about 530 replacement openings for approximately 1,000 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Hosts and Hostesses, Restaurant, Lounge, and Coffee Shop
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Funeral Attendants
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Library Assistants, Clerical
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
majorFood Service, Waiter/Waitress, and Dining Room Management/Manager
collegeBaldwin Park Adult & Community Education
onetCombined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
majorCulinary Arts/Chef Training
onetChefs and Head Cooks
majorCooking and Related Culinary Arts, General
onetCounter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
collegeCalifornia State University-San Bernardino