Facilitate food service. Clean tables, remove dirty dishes, replace soiled table linens; set tables; replenish supply of clean linens, silverware, glassware, and dishes; supply service bar with food; and serve items such as water, condiments, and coffee to patrons.
- Banquet Set Up Person
- Bar Attendant
- Bar Back
- Bartender Helper
- Beverage Server
- Buffet Attendant
- Bus Boy
- Wipe tables or seats with dampened cloths or replace dirty tablecloths.
- Set tables with clean linens, condiments, or other supplies.
- Scrape and stack dirty dishes and carry dishes and other tableware to kitchens for cleaning.
- Clean up spilled food or drink or broken dishes and remove empty bottles and trash.
- Perform serving, cleaning, or stocking duties in establishments, such as cafeterias or dining rooms, to facilitate customer service.
- Maintain adequate supplies of items such as clean linens, silverware, glassware, dishes, or trays.
- Serve ice water, coffee, rolls, or butter to patrons.
- Fill beverage or ice dispensers.
- Stock cabinets or serving areas with condiments and refill condiment containers.
- Locate items requested by customers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $20,380.00 with most people making between $17,270.00 and $26,500.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 61,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 76,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,520 openings due to growth and about 2,280 replacement openings for approximately 3,800 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Counter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Nonfarm Animal Caretakers
- Baggage Porters and Bellhops
- Library Assistants, Clerical
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
- Packers and Packagers, Hand
collegeMt. San Antonio College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeLong Beach City College
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
onetCounter Attendants, Cafeteria, Food Concession, and Coffee Shop
collegeLos Angeles Mission College
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorChild Care Provider/Assistant
onetCounter and Rental Clerks