Apply or release chemical solutions or toxic gases and set traps to kill or remove pests and vermin that infest buildings and surrounding areas.
- Chemical Applicator
- Commercial Pest Control Technician
- Commercial Technician
- Extermination Inspector
- Extermination Supervisor
- Exterminator Helper
- Field Technician
- Hand Spray Operator
- Record work activities performed.
- Inspect premises to identify infestation source and extent of damage to property, wall, or roof porosity and access to infested locations.
- Spray or dust chemical solutions, powders, or gases into rooms, onto clothing, furnishings, or wood, or over marshlands, ditches, or catch basins.
- Clean work site after completion of job.
- Direct or assist other workers in treatment or extermination processes to eliminate or control rodents, insects, or weeds.
- Drive truck equipped with power spraying equipment.
- Measure area dimensions requiring treatment, using rule, calculate fumigant requirements, and estimate cost for service.
- Post warning signs and lock building doors to secure area to be fumigated.
- Cut or bore openings in building or surrounding concrete, access infested areas, insert nozzle, and inject pesticide to impregnate ground.
- Study preliminary reports or diagrams of infested area and determine treatment type required to eliminate and prevent recurrence of infestation.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Relationships in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $33,540.00 with most people making between $21,840.00 and $48,970.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 9,000 people in California. It is projected that there will be 11,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 260 openings due to growth and about 400 replacement openings for approximately 660 total annual openings.
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Power Plant Operators
- Tank Car, Truck, and Ship Loaders
collegeSanta Monica College
collegeHarrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
majorBaking and Pastry Arts/Baker/Pastry Chef
collegeUniversity of Washington-Seattle Campus
collegeUniversity of Southern California