Landscape or maintain grounds of property using hand or power tools or equipment. Workers typically perform a variety of tasks, which may include any combination of the following: sod laying, mowing, trimming, planting, watering, fertilizing, digging, raking, sprinkler installation, and installation of mortarless segmental concrete masonry wall units.
- Athletic Field Custodian
- Athletic Fieldskeeper
- Athletic Turf Manager
- Backhoe Operator
- Bonsai Tender
- Brush Cutter
- Care Taker
- Cemetery Keeper
- Cemetery Laborer
- Operate vehicles and powered equipment, such as mowers, tractors, twin-axle vehicles, snow blowers, chain saws, electric clippers, sod cutters, and pruning saws.
- Mow or edge lawns, using power mowers or edgers.
- Shovel snow from walks, driveways, or parking lots and spread salt in those areas.
- Care for established lawns by mulching, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing thatch, or trimming or edging around flower beds, walks, or walls.
- Use hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, pruning saws, saws, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
- Prune or trim trees, shrubs, or hedges, using shears, pruners, or chain saws.
- Gather and remove litter.
- Maintain or repair tools, equipment, or structures, such as buildings, greenhouses, fences, or benches, using hand or power tools.
- Mix and spray or spread fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides onto grass, shrubs, or trees, using hand or automatic sprayers or spreaders.
- Provide proper upkeep of sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fountains, planters, burial sites, or other grounds features.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Working Conditions and Support in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $28,390 with most people making between $18,570 and $44,910
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 138,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 168,400 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 2,990 openings due to growth and about 2,450 replacement openings for approximately 5,440 total annual openings.
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Fence Erectors
- Tire Repairers and Changers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Foundry Mold and Coremakers
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Helpers--Production Workers
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeLong Beach City College
onetJanitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
collegeUniversity of California-Berkeley
onetElectric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
collegeAmerican College of Traditional Chinese Medicine