Using sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques, cut away dead or excess branches from trees or shrubs to maintain right-of-way for roads, sidewalks, or utilities, or to improve appearance, health, and value of tree. Prune or treat trees or shrubs using handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners. Works off the ground in the tree canopy and may use truck-mounted lifts.
- Brush Clearing Laborer
- Crane Operator
- Grape Pruner
- Ground Worker
- Line Clearance Foreman
- Plant Health Care Technician
- Load debris and refuse onto trucks and haul it away for disposal.
- Supervise others engaged in tree trimming work and train lower-level employees.
- Operate boom trucks, loaders, stump chippers, brush chippers, tractors, power saws, trucks, sprayers, and other equipment and tools.
- Climb trees, using climbing hooks and belts, or climb ladders to gain access to work areas.
- Clean, sharpen, and lubricate tools and equipment.
- Cut away dead and excess branches from trees, or clear branches around power lines, using climbing equipment or buckets of extended truck booms, and/or chainsaws, hooks, handsaws, shears, and clippers.
- Trim, top, and reshape trees to achieve attractive shapes or to remove low-hanging branches.
- Prune, cut down, fertilize, and spray trees as directed by tree surgeons.
- Hoist tools and equipment to tree trimmers, and lower branches with ropes or block and tackle.
- Operate shredding and chipping equipment, and feed limbs and brush into the machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $37,530.00 with most people making between $21,390.00 and $57,540.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 7,300 people in California. It is projected that there will be 8,800 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 150 openings due to growth and about 130 replacement openings for approximately 280 total annual openings.
- Fishers and Related Fishing Workers
- Cement Masons and Concrete Finishers
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Segmental Pavers
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
majorLandscaping and Groundskeeping
onetLandscaping and Groundskeeping Workers
majorConstruction/Heavy Equipment/Earthmoving Equipment Operation
majorFishing and Fisheries Sciences and Management
onetHunters and Trappers
collegeCosumnes River College
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
collegeSan Diego State University