Operate table games. Stand or sit behind table and operate games of chance by dispensing the appropriate number of cards or blocks to players, or operating other gaming equipment. Distribute winnings or collect players' money or chips. May compare the house's hand against players' hands.
- 21 Dealer
- Baccarat Dealer
- Big 6 Dealer
- Black Jack Dealer
- Blackjack Dealer
- Card Dealer
- Card Game Operator
- Card Grader
- Casino Dealer
- Casino Games Dealer
- Pay winnings or collect losing bets as established by the rules and procedures of a specific game.
- Stand behind a gaming table and deal the appropriate number of cards to each player.
- Deal cards to house hands, and compare these with players' hands to determine winners, as in black jack.
- Conduct gambling games such as dice, roulette, cards, or keno, following all applicable rules and regulations.
- Exchange paper currency for playing chips or coin money.
- Check to ensure that all players have placed bets before play begins.
- Start and control games and gaming equipment, and announce winning numbers or colors.
- Inspect cards and equipment to be used in games to ensure that they are in good condition.
- Apply rule variations to card games such as poker, in which players bet on the value of their hands.
- Open and close cash floats and game tables.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $21,490.00 with most people making between $17,250.00 and $29,920.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 14,100 people in California. It is projected that there will be 16,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 250 openings due to growth and about 610 replacement openings for approximately 860 total annual openings.
- Pharmacy Aides
- Transportation Security Screeners
- Gaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
- Gaming Change Persons and Booth Cashiers
- Counter and Rental Clerks
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks
- Postal Service Clerks
- Weighers, Measurers, Checkers, and Samplers, Recordkeeping
collegeCalifornia State Polytechnic University-Pomona
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of Southern California
majorGame and Interactive Media Design
onetGaming and Sports Book Writers and Runners
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles