Post information enabling patrons to wager on various races and sporting events. Assist in the operation of games such as keno and bingo. May operate random number generating equipment and announce the numbers for patrons. Receive, verify, and record patrons' wagers. Scan and process winning tickets presented by patrons and payout winnings for those wagers.
- Bet Taker
- Betting Clerk
- Bingo Caller
- Bingo Clerk
- Blackjack Dealer
- Cardroom Attendant
- Casino Attendant
- Prepare collection reports for submission to supervisors.
- Compute and verify amounts won and lost, then pay out winnings or refer patrons to workers such as gaming cashiers so that winnings can be collected.
- Collect bets in the form of cash or chips, verifying and recording amounts.
- Collect cards or tickets from players.
- Answer questions about game rules or casino policies.
- Compare the house hand with players' hands to determine the winner.
- Check to ensure that all players have placed their bets before play begins.
- Conduct gambling tables or games, such as dice, roulette, cards, or keno, and ensure that game rules are followed.
- Pay off or move bets as established by game rules and procedures.
- Inspect cards or equipment to be used in games to ensure they are in proper condition.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $28,970 with most people making between $17,860 and $47,930
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately 1,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 1,800 employed in 2018.
This occupation will have about 20 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
majorCriminal Justice/Police Science
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeSan Diego State University
majorGame and Interactive Media Design
onetAthletes and Sports Competitors
collegeCalifornia State University-Los Angeles