Provide beauty services, such as shampooing, cutting, coloring, and styling hair, and massaging and treating scalp. May apply makeup, dress wigs, perform hair removal, and provide nail and skin care services.
- Barber Stylist
- Beautician Apprentice
- Beauty Advisor
- Beauty Operator
- Beauty Therapist
- Cosmetic Consultant
- Cosmetician Apprentice
- Keep work stations clean and sanitize tools such as scissors and combs.
- Cut, trim and shape hair or hairpieces, based on customers' instructions, hair type and facial features, using clippers, scissors, trimmers and razors.
- Analyze patrons' hair and other physical features to determine and recommend beauty treatment or suggest hair styles.
- Schedule client appointments.
- Bleach, dye, or tint hair, using applicator or brush.
- Update and maintain customer information records, such as beauty services provided.
- Shampoo, rinse, condition and dry hair and scalp or hairpieces with water, liquid soap, or other solutions.
- Operate cash registers to receive payments from patrons.
- Demonstrate and sell hair care products and cosmetics.
- Develop new styles and techniques.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AES.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $27,360.00 with most people making between $17,720.00 and $43,670.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 41,400 people in California. It is projected that there will be 49,300 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 790 openings due to growth and about 790 replacement openings for approximately 1,580 total annual openings.
collegeRiverside City College
onetMakeup Artists, Theatrical and Performance
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeLos Angeles Trade Technical College
collegeSacramento City College
majorHair Styling/Stylist and Hair Design
majorCosmetology, Barber/Styling, and Nail Instructor