Directly supervise and coordinate activities of sales workers other than retail sales workers. May perform duties such as budgeting, accounting, and personnel work, in addition to supervisory duties.
- Accounting Manager
- Advertising Material Distributors Supervisor
- Agency Manager
- Area Sales Manager
- Artificial Breeding Distributor
- Auto Parts Manager
- Block Captain
- Blood Donor Recruiter Supervisor
- Bowling or Skating Desk Clerk Supervisor
- Branch Manager
- Confer with company officials to develop methods and procedures to increase sales, expand markets, and promote business.
- Listen to and resolve customer complaints regarding services, products, or personnel.
- Provide staff with assistance in performing difficult or complicated duties.
- Monitor sales staff performance to ensure that goals are met.
- Formulate pricing policies on merchandise according to profitability requirements.
- Hire, train, and evaluate personnel.
- Analyze details of sales territories to assess their growth potential and to set quotas.
- Attend company meetings to exchange product information and coordinate work activities with other departments.
- Prepare sales and inventory reports for management and budget departments.
- Plan and prepare work schedules, and assign employees to specific duties.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $76,750.00 with most people making between $35,050.00 and $131,560.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 40,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 46,600 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 570 openings due to growth and about 1,030 replacement openings for approximately 1,600 total annual openings.
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Postmasters and Mail Superintendents
- Regulatory Affairs Managers
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Compensation, Benefits, and Job Analysis Specialists
- Insurance Sales Agents
- Sales Agents, Financial Services
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Technical and Scientific Products
- Real Estate Sales Agents
collegeLong Beach City College
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Office and Administrative Support Workers
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeSanta Rosa Junior College
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeSan Jose State University