Sell merchandise, such as furniture, motor vehicles, appliances, or apparel to consumers.
- Art Dealer
- Art Objects Salesperson
- Associate Sales
- Attendant Sales
- Auto Dealer
- Automobile Accessories Salesperson
- Automobile Salesman
- Automobiles Salesperson
- Automotive Salesperson
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
- Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Compute sales prices, total purchases and receive and process cash or credit payment.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
- Maintain records related to sales.
- Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise.
- Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $26,170.00 with most people making between $17,830.00 and $39,160.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 436,900 people in California. It is projected that there will be 540,500 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 10,370 openings due to growth and about 12,830 replacement openings for approximately 23,200 total annual openings.
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Demonstrators and Product Promoters
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Office Clerks, General
collegeLoma Linda University
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorRetailing and Retail Operations
collegeAmerican River College
collegeWest Valley College
onetAgents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
onetCounter and Rental Clerks