Plan and sell transportation and accommodations for travel agency customers. Determine destination, modes of transportation, travel dates, costs, and accommodations required. May also describe, plan, and arrange itineraries and sell tour packages. May assist in resolving clients' travel problems.
- Auto Travel Counselor
- Certified Corporate Travel Executive
- Certified Travel Counselor
- Corporate Travel Agent
- Corporate Travel Expert
- Tour Agent
- Tour Coordinator
- Travel Agent
- Travel Consultant
- Travel Coordinator
- Collect payment for transportation and accommodations from customer.
- Converse with customer to determine destination, mode of transportation, travel dates, financial considerations, and accommodations required.
- Compute cost of travel and accommodations, using calculator, computer, carrier tariff books, and hotel rate books, or quote package tour's costs.
- Book transportation and hotel reservations, using computer terminal or telephone.
- Plan, describe, arrange, and sell itinerary tour packages and promotional travel incentives offered by various travel carriers.
- Provide customer with brochures and publications containing travel information, such as local customs, points of interest, or foreign country regulations.
- Print or request transportation carrier tickets, using computer printer system or system link to travel carrier.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Geography - Knowledge of principles and methods for describing the features of land, sea, and air masses, including their physical characteristics, locations, interrelationships, and distribution of plant, animal, and human life.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $39,490.00 with most people making between $22,270.00 and $60,540.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 10,600 people in California. It is projected that there will be 9,700 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 110 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
- Tax Preparers
- Retail Salespersons
- Bill and Account Collectors
- Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks
- Customer Service Representatives
- Human Resources Assistants, Except Payroll and Timekeeping
- Receptionists and Information Clerks
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Secretaries and Administrative Assistants, Except Legal, Medical, and Executive
- Insurance Claims Clerks
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General
majorTourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations
onetAgents and Business Managers of Artists, Performers, and Athletes
collegeLoma Linda University
collegeCalifornia State University-East Bay
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
onetReal Estate Sales Agents
collegeSan Diego State University
majorTourism and Travel Services Management
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach