Sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers where technical or scientific knowledge is required in such areas as biology, engineering, chemistry, and electronics, normally obtained from at least 2 years of post-secondary education.
- Abrasives Sales Representative
- Account Development Manager
- Account Executive
- Account Leader
- Account Manager
- Accounts Executive
- Agricultural Sales Representative
- Aircraft Equipment and Parts Sales Representative
- Aircraft Sales Representative
- Animal Feed Products Sales Representative
- Contact new and existing customers to discuss their needs, and to explain how these needs could be met by specific products and services.
- Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, or credit terms.
- Quote prices, credit terms, or other bid specifications.
- Emphasize product features based on analyses of customers' needs and on technical knowledge of product capabilities and limitations.
- Negotiate prices or terms of sales or service agreements.
- Maintain customer records, using automated systems.
- Identify prospective customers by using business directories, following leads from existing clients, participating in organizations and clubs, and attending trade shows and conferences.
- Prepare sales contracts for orders obtained, and submit orders for processing.
- Select the correct products or assist customers in making product selections, based on customers' needs, product specifications, and applicable regulations.
- Collaborate with colleagues to exchange information, such as selling strategies or marketing information.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: EC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Negotiation - Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $91,430.00 with most people making between $40,820.00 and $154,840.00
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 48,800 people in California. It is projected that there will be 61,200 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 1,240 openings due to growth and about 1,150 replacement openings for approximately 2,390 total annual openings.
- Purchasing Managers
- Logistics Managers
- Clinical Research Coordinators
- Property, Real Estate, and Community Association Managers
- Purchasing Agents, Except Wholesale, Retail, and Farm Products
- Claims Examiners, Property and Casualty Insurance
- Cost Estimators
- First-Line Supervisors of Non-Retail Sales Workers
- Sales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
- Real Estate Brokers
collegeCalifornia State University-Long Beach
collegeWest Valley College
majorSales, Distribution, and Marketing Operations, General
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations
onetSales Representatives, Wholesale and Manufacturing, Except Technical and Scientific Products
majorMarketing/Marketing Management, General
majorBusiness Administration and Management, General