Demonstrate merchandise and answer questions for the purpose of creating public interest in buying the product. May sell demonstrated merchandise.
- Appliance Counselor
- Bell Ringer
- Demonstrator Sales
- Electric-Gas Appliances Demonstrator
- Event Specialist
- Exhibit Display Representative
- Exhibitor Sales
- Fashion Director, Party Plan Sales
- Demonstrate or explain products, methods, or services to persuade customers to purchase products or use services.
- Provide product samples, coupons, informational brochures, or other incentives to persuade people to buy products.
- Keep areas neat while working and return items to correct locations following demonstrations.
- Record and report demonstration-related information, such as the number of questions asked by the audience or the number of coupons distributed.
- Sell products being promoted and keep records of sales.
- Set up and arrange displays or demonstration areas to attract the attention of prospective customers.
- Suggest specific product purchases to meet customers' needs.
- Transport, assemble, and disassemble materials used in presentations.
- Identify interested and qualified customers to provide them with additional information.
- Practice demonstrations to ensure that they will run smoothly.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Recognition in their jobs.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Communications and Media - Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Persuasion - Persuading others to change their minds or behavior.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was $29,070 with most people making between $20,140 and $42,800
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 19,500 people in California. It is projected that there will be 23,100 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 360 openings due to growth and about 570 replacement openings for approximately 930 total annual openings.
- Buyers and Purchasing Agents, Farm Products
- Wholesale and Retail Buyers, Except Farm Products
- Manicurists and Pedicurists
- Parts Salespersons
- Travel Agents
- Gaming Cage Workers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Reservation and Transportation Ticket Agents and Travel Clerks
- Office Clerks, General
onetFirst-Line Supervisors of Food Preparation and Serving Workers
collegeWest Valley College
collegeUniversity of Florida
onetCounter and Rental Clerks
majorConsumer Merchandising/Retailing Management
majorSelling Skills and Sales Operations