Model garments or other apparel and accessories for prospective buyers at fashion shows, private showings, or retail establishments. May pose for photos to be used in magazines or advertisements. May pose as subject for paintings, sculptures, and other types of artistic expression.
- Agency Director
- Art Class Model
- Art Model
- Artist's Model
- Character Impersonator
- Clothes Model
- Fashion Model
- Figure Model
- Pose for artists and photographers.
- Gather information from agents concerning the pay, dates, times, provisions, and lengths of jobs.
- Follow strict routines of diet, sleep, and exercise to maintain appearance.
- Record rates of pay and durations of jobs on vouchers.
- Report job completions to agencies and obtain information about future appointments.
- Assemble and maintain portfolios, print composite cards, and travel to go-sees to obtain jobs.
- Work closely with photographers, fashion coordinators, directors, producers, stylists, make-up artists, other models, and clients to produce the desired looks, and to finish photo shoots on schedule.
- Apply makeup to face and style hair to enhance appearance, considering such factors as color, camera techniques, and facial features.
- Display clothing and merchandise in commercials, advertisements, and/or fashion shows.
- Promote products and services in television commercials, on film, or in videos.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: AER.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Artistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Recognition and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Fine Arts - Knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2012, the average annual wage in California was n/a with most people making between n/a and n/a
During 2008, this occupation employed approximately n/a people in California. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2018.
This occupation will have approximately - job openings annually.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Floral Designers
- Cooks, Fast Food
- Waiters and Waitresses
- Food Servers, Nonrestaurant
- Amusement and Recreation Attendants
- Locker Room, Coatroom, and Dressing Room Attendants
- Funeral Attendants
- Door-To-Door Sales Workers, News and Street Vendors, and Related Workers
- Couriers and Messengers
- Stock Clerks, Sales Floor
collegeUniversity of Southern California
collegeUniversity of California-Los Angeles
collegeFashion Institute of Technology